Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The moving out of campus madness

The previous weekend was packed with a large portion of fatigue and sadness, a scoop of insanity and a dollop of fun. I really don't know how Fifi, Jay and James did it!

It all started on the Friday when it finally occurred to all of us that we have a matter of hours before we were kicked out of campus accommodation. Pat, Jo, Ritchie and I have been having such a good time together (yes, without you all) that the 10:00 am on Saturday morning deadline seemed a breeze, until we were jolted into reality.

By Friday evening, the bins on campus were not visible! You couldn't distinguish between the recycle bins, and the demand for cartons were well above what you'd imagine... People even took out cartons from the bins! Well I did. I picked a clean, plastic wrapped carton folded out carton, placed outside the bins. So, it was alright. Green Lancaster landed themselves with a big mess, when they promoted "Exodus." All electrical appliances, nonperishable food, bed-bedding's, clothes, stationery and what not were dumped in the common room. You'd be lucky to find the floor! The two pool tables were filled with junk, the vending machine had stuff on top, the sofas and bar stools were wearing bed spreads and held electrical items! WHAT A MESS!

It must have been 10:00 pm when Jo had a mini auction for her stuff, Ritchie and I were rummaging through it, like scurrying rodents while Pat giggled like a GIRL! I think it was because, I picked things, in spite of my 3 medium cartons, 2 big trolley bags, 1 small one, a laundry bag full of stuff, and a Sommerfield basket (that Daragh nicked from the store, and I nicked from him).Never mind. We headed down to Pat's place where he had a tearful goodbye... when the mini-fridge was dragged out of his room into the common room. Ritchie's place like his little hamster, JiJi (yes, he does have a pet that none of us knew until awhile ago) had a room full of things! I really don't know how you managed to pack it all, Ritchie!

With a wink of sleep, the following morning was dreadful. The weather grumpy with a shimmer of sunshine and continuous drizzle. UGH! There was heavy traffic on campus, with taxis driving in and out of campus. It so happens to be the uni's visiting day as well. So swarms of people were all over the place- population density so high, I almost felt like home in India! *wink*

The taxi driver drove me to the place in town, where I live. It's 12 minutes walk from the train station, located on this street called Willow Lane. Rumours had it that the place was known for knackers. Of course, it was no good knowing all of this when I had already signed the contract. But nonetheless, the lane I live on is very residential. There's a primary school nearby and some really posh estate bungalows around here. There is a very misplaced Victoria Pub that perhaps is the only source of trouble, but otherwise, it's really nice.

While I unpacked, I realised that my laptop and some small items were retained in the taxi- I had one of my typical Keerti moments where I panicked, and punched numbers on my phone that was dying and out of credit! My taxi driver was not really one that I had called, there was a mix up on campus. So the service that I called had blatantly told me that I had to call the other taxi service that was in charge. After a massive mind explosion and a near heart attack, my taxi driver arrived at my doorstep with my things! Phew!
I started a bit of unpacking when my stomach grumbled so I caught up with Pat in town and had lunch at Varsity- do you remember that green board, with words in white, on a lane parallel to Hustle? Well, it's seems like a really nice place, dunno why we never went there. I think by this point Pat and I were used to the idea of walking into town. Surely, that implicates, more interest in town events and perhaps less excuse for heading out at night!

By Sunday, I had realised that I was uncomfortable living in this house, because it turns out that my 24 year old live-in landlord, Lauren had some issues with guests over. She has a no visitors allowed rule. Strange. But I can't argue with the probation officer aka my landlord, as past experiences of misplaced and damaged articles had her doubts on guests. In knowing that my housemate, Emily and me are liable to all articles within the property was comforting for her.

Emily is from a place in France, just at the border of France and Germany. She's a 24 year old doing her PG course in French, and aspires to be a french teacher in England. She's surprisingly talkative, but nice to have around- sometimes. Lauren was a bit feisty over the weekend, but I managed to talk to her on Sunday, and it turns out that she's nice to talk to! A bit of a relief! Lauren has a dog, Bullet, a pain-in-the-butt type of dog that loves to jump on my bed and follow me everywhere. The dog in my opinion has serious issues of Attention Deficiency Disorder! It comes no surprise though, the poor painful thing has been locked up in a house from 9 am - 5 pm. The owner doesn't give it much attention after work...

Anyway, I'm happy now, after a weekend of madness and disorientatedness. I think I've managed to settle in alright. Just need to iron out what I am going to do in the coming months.

So, what's your story? How's very one else?

2 comments:

  1. Hey kiki, this is a really good start ! Good to know you're settling in your new place with Bullet ? ;-)

    Take care, I'll probably pull out something from my diary and post !

    Take care !

    Richie had a pet !!! How many more secrets was he hiding from us !

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    Bullet is analogues to the kids you have at the place. But I share a love-hate relationship with that dog!
    Richie does have a pet! It's really adorable!

    ReplyDelete